Wednesday, April 28

I surely cannot be a teacher !!!

This is my last week of tutoring. For those who don’t know much about me, I work as a Math tutor. This is my job on campus. I sit in a Math lab (that’s how they call it) with other tutors, and students who have trouble come to us and we have to help them with there questions. Ah!! Almost tired of it. Eventhough I have a lot patience(I think I have), I decided I cannot be a teacher. I’m tutoring for the last one and half year. Would have tutored more than 500 students mostly Americans, some Brazilians, Middle east, Peurto Ricans, Jamaicans, et cetra. Though I had a nice time tutoring to start with, things became monotonous and I started hating this job. I’m not generalizing, but Americans have a big problem with math. They just cant do it. On top of it they hate doing math. “Math is my worst subject”, “Math Sucks”, “I want to pass this course very badly”, “I’m taking this math course because I flunked the first time, I want to get over with it”…these are the most common statements I hear from students coming to the math lab. At times I take at least twenty minutes to explain if x-3 = 0, then x=3. This is the common basic math that many of them find difficult to understand. I can’t tell why their standard is so low. The college algebra here for non engineering students is the same algebra we study in our sixth or seventh grade. In spite of all these I had no other go, because I know this is the best job on campus, compared to the job in cafeterias and dorms which my friends do.
But I’m happy that I’m done with this and I know I surely cannot be a teacher especially a one on one teacher. It requires lot of patience to be one. Its summer now and I’m going to start with my patrolling job, which is my favorite. For those who don’t know what that job is about, there will be a blog on it, sometime in summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home